Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Malaysia Trip // Malaccan Relaxation

Final stop on my Malaysia tour: Malacca! By now I'm starting to get worn out from constantly traveling, so this was a great last stop. Malacca is a small place and quite spread out. There isn't a lot of sightseeing to do, but lots of food to eat and places to leisurely wander around or just relax in a coffee shop.



A ship that I'm sure has some sort of significance to Malacca...but like I said, at this point of the journey I'm pretty worn out from playing tourist and didn't even bother crossing the road to find out more about it.

Porta de Santiago
An easy climb to the top of the fort ruins with a great view of the city. 

Jonker Street
Don't come to Jonker Street on a Tuesday! We went that day and 90% of the shops were all closed so we didn't get to eat or see much. All the famous eating spots were closed, so we settled for this establishment below.



Famous rice balls and chicken

Beautiful historic building, gorgeous traditional Chinese decor, but absolutely horrible food at inflated prices. Would not recommend eating there.

The rest of my time in Malacca consisted of food. And more food. Unfortunately I can't remember any of the names, but it was all very delicious.












This mom and pop shop in the middle of the suburbs was really popular so we stopped to see what all the excitement was about. They sell fresh kaya and a sweet snack called putu piring melaka.



Putu piring melaka is steamed rice flour cake with gula melaka (palm sugar) wrapped inside and coconut shreds sprinkled on the outside. The steamed rice flour cake gives it a fluffy texture balanced with the dense sugar filling. Satisfyingly sweet and so dangerous to have!

And that concludes my Malaysia tour. Malaysia was different from any other destination I've visited thus far. I hit most of the major west coast cities of Peninsular Malaysia, except for the Cameron Highlands. Next time I visit Malaysia hopefully I can tackle the east coast and East Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment